Hey, everyone! It’s been a while. Sorry about that.
Not sure if you’re like me and love to cook or want to cook and just don’t have enough time to get all those ingredients at the store but I’ve tried a BUNCH of the subscription service at-home food delivery – one being Hello Fresh. If you’re also like me, you’ve used the promotion code offer, got your first package and then cancelled it when the box of food arrived. I also sometimes re-up with a different email so I can use the promo code again – shameful! Whatever people, just trying to save a buck!
Blue Apron and Hello Fresh are two that I’ve done multiple times. I will say I love Hello Fresh’s packaging. They divide each meal into individual boxes so they are easy to store in your fridge and it’s convenient to have all your ingredients together when you go to cook. But I like Blue Apron slightly more because they include ingredients/recipes that I would never cook with otherwise and challenge me beyond what I usually cook. It’s also nice they give you a single serving of the no-so-common ingredients so they don’t go to waste if they aren’t being used all the time.
Okay that being said – I haven’t re-upped with Hello Fresh in a while, so I got this free recipe (and another promo code – WOOO) in the mail and decided to try it the other night. It’s only 498 calories per serving which is great because I’m trying to get bikini ready!
The recipe is pretty easy to follow. First preheat the oven for the chicken. Then prep the chicken by putting a layer of mustard on and the chopped pistachios. Then chop everything else.
DISCLAIMER: I thought I wasn’t a wuss and I went full-seed on the jalapeño and it was WAY too spicy for Eric and I. I would remove most of the seeds if you want to enjoy the dish rather than focusing on how spicy it is!
Before you chop, cook the quinoa. I used veggie stock to cook it in rather than the concentrate – I think it worked well and it was just easier to prepare.
Put all the veggies in a bowl and add salt and pepper, lime juice and the olive oil. This veggie medley is so yummy even just by itself or can be used as another side dish for another meal. It’s easy to put together and full of flavor. I will say it’s usually easy and quick but my sou chef had a couple of accidents I had to clean up as well. She just loves to help in the kitchen 🙂
Okay time to season the quinoa. I didn’t have sherry vinegar so I just used red wine vinegar but it got the same flavor profile across. Just add the salt and pepper and some olive oil and it’s time to plate! Plop some quinoa down (even amount on both plates), then add your veggie medley generously on top. The chicken should just be ready to come out of the oven. Take the breast and put it on top of everything. I didn’t cut mine into slices which I think is okay.
That’s it! This is a taste of what Hello Fresh is like so if you enjoyed making this, try them out!
Pistachio Encrusted Chicken:
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 unit of vegetable concentrate
- 12 oz of chicken breasts
- Dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- 1 oz of shelled pistachios
- 1 persian cucumber
- 1 jalapeño
- .25 oz of mint
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 lime
- 1 shallot
- 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the vegetable stock concentrate, quinoa, 1 cup water, and a pinch of salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- Prep the chicken: Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Place onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Spread a thin layer of mustard evenly on top of the chicken breasts.
- Roughly chop the pistachios and press into the mustard to adhere. Place the chicken in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- Wash and dry all produce. While the chicken cooks, dice the cucumber. Halve, peel, and finely dice the shallot. Core, seed, and dice the tomato. Roughly chop the mint leaves. Zest and halve the lime. Dice the jalapeño, removing the seeds and ribs if you prefer less heat. In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, tomato, shallot, lime zest, half the mint, and as much jalapeño as you like. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with a squeeze of lime and a drizzle of oil.
- Season the quinoa: When the quinoa is ready, fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in a splash of sherry vinegar and a drizzle of oil, to taste.
- Finish: When the chicken is cooked through, remove from oven to rest for 3 minutes before thinly slicing. Serve the pistachio- crusted chicken on a bed of quinoa. Spoon the cucumber jalapeño salad over the top. Garnish with the remaining mint. Enjoy!